Beach time!

Beach time!

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

An invitation to be tested?

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious
thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in
me,
and led me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

Oh, what an invitation is this. The freedom to invite God to test me, know my anxieties, and purge out any offenses sounds a bit daunting. But the payout is huge: being led in the way of the everlasting, the way of Christ. God already knows our hearts and He already sees every anxious thought. But, I think before we can grow and be released from our strongholds, whatever they may be, God wants an invitation to step in and work. He will never force His way in our hearts and our lives. If I forced someone to share their life with me, under threats and intimidation, how genuine would the relationship be? Yes, I might know some things about that person, but it would be a relationship based on fear and misuse of power. God wants all of me but He wants me to want to give it freely, without condition or obligation. How willing am I to put my heart and my anxious thoughts under God's microscope? Am I willing to be tested by God? What if I knew that going through all of that would make my heavenly relationship more intimate and my earthly relationships more fulfilling and purposeful?

We all want to fully grasp the peace of Christ. He offers it to every single one of us. We just have to be willing to move ourselves out of the way to get to the place of surrender. It's not easy but the more time I spend with God, reading His word and talking things out with Him, the closer I get to Him. The closer I get to Him, the more I am able to get perspective on His purpose and calling for my life. The more clearly I focus on His purpose and calling on my life, the less I fear. The opposite is also true. The less time I spend with God, the further I move away from Him. The further I move away from him, the fuzzier my perspective becomes. When my perspective and calling become unclear, I lose purpose and begin to fear. Interesting, no?

I have gone through seasons in the past in which I committed to praying scriptures as my prayers. I think this one may be mine for a while. I don't know what God has for me day to day but I know he has a hope and a future for me. The verse that follows Jeremiah 29:11 that I referenced several days ago says this:
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and will bring you back from captivity.

I love it! Perhaps that will be tomorrow' "No Fear" verse...
Love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment